Purpose of Position: GAVI has now created a new role in the organization titled: Director, Vaccine Supply and Demand. Reporting into the Managing Director, Vaccines & Sustainability, this individual will lead a large team with 3 units: Vaccine Implementation, Market Shaping, and Forecasting & Grant Operations. The goal is to strategically plan for and enable the equitable uptake of vaccines in Gavi supported countries.
S/he will contribute to achieving Gavi's mission by shaping the markets for vaccines and other immunisation products and working with partners to enable implementation of these programmes in the countries that Gavi serves. This includes incentivising the development, supply, pricing of quality vaccines and leading the design and implementation of vaccine programmes.
Team: Policy & Market Shaping
Reporting to: Managing Director, Vaccines & Sustainability
Career Step Level: 6
KEY FUNCTIONS AND DELIVERABLES
- Strategically plan for and enable equitable uptake of vaccines in Gavi supported countries;
- In close cooperation with relevant stakeholders, advocate for appropriate design, and management of efficient and effective vaccine delivery programmes;
- Contribute to achieving Gavi's mission by shaping the markets for vaccines and other immunisation products. This includes ensuring adequate and secure supply of quality vaccines; managing prices of vaccines and other immunisation products to an appropriate and sustainable level; and incentivising development of suitable and quality vaccines and other immunisation products, so as to foster healthy markets for products funded by Gavi.
- Develop and implement the Gavi Supply and Procurement Strategy, so as to develop, coordinate, communicate and contribute to the implementation of evidence-based supply and procurement strategies.
- Responsible for an integrated (programmatic and economic) Alliance annual renewal of programmes, and short- and long-term forecasting of demand and pricing.
- Provide guidance and thought leadership across the Secretariat and the Alliance on vaccine supply and programmes, their implementation and performance.
KEY FUNCTIONS EXPECTED
- Progress on Gavi's strategic goal of equitable and sustained coverage/ uptake of vaccines including new vaccine introductions during 2016-2020;
- Effective target setting and reporting;
- Efficiency of renewals and forecasting processes to deliver timely and adequate supplies to countries;
- Achieve the Alliance goal on market shaping (SG4); achieve the goal-level indicators;
- Deliver best value for money on ~70% of Gavi's annual funding to countries;
- Identify and find solutions to strategic questions related to market-based health commodity challenges;
- Create a team culture characterized by collaboration within the group and with partners and industry, respectful relationships and an atmosphere where ideas can be proposed and challenged. Develop the professional skills of team members, especially in relation to proactive planning and action, efficient work processes, decision-making and prudent risk taking.
- Lead and coordinate Gavi's efforts to improve and accelerate equitable and sustained delivery of vaccines, including introduction of new life saving vaccines, in Gavi-supported countries;
- Manage and provide leadership to the Vaccine Implementation and Market Shaping teams;
- Ensure successful liaison with the partners and all stakeholders on matters related to Strategic Goal 1: Accelerate equitable uptake and coverage of vaccines; and to Strategic Goal 4: Shape markets for vaccines and other immunisation products.
- Work collaboratively with Alliance stakeholders to articulate the scope, needs and strategies of Vaccine Implementation and market shaping, including evolution of the strategies or operational model, and follow through on implementation activities for which the Gavi Secretariat is accountable;
- Comprehensively manage product knowledge for the existing Gavi portfolio by providing expertise on products related to their scientific, programmatic and market shaping aspects;
- Guarantee the quality of the vaccine demand and price data and their translation into short-and long-term forecasts;
- Provide leadership on strategic projects on balancing the benefits and risks of market shaping globally;
- Serve as a member of the Vaccines & Sustainability Management Team and other leadership fora;
- Represent Gavi externally;
- Secure and manage resources adequate to achieve Gavi's SG1 and SG4 objectives;
- Support the Managing Director, Vaccines & Sustainability on other initiatives as required in support of Gavi's objectives.
- A minimum of 15 years of professional experience at least half of which should have occurred in a managerial role;
- Experience in the private sector desirable;
- Demonstrated ability to lead a large team (~25) and deliver results;
- At least 5 years of experience in Public Health, preferably in vaccine delivery;
- At least 5 years of direct/indirect vaccine related experience;
- Experience of working in a fast-paced international environment;
- In-country experience of field operations, preferably in Gavi eligible and developing countries;
- Prior experience in change management.
- High order analytical skills and flair for evidence driven decisions;
- Willingness to challenge the status quo and encourage new and bold perspectives/ embrace change;
- Demonstrated negotiation skills and track record in leading and coordinating a large and diverse number of stakeholders, both internal and external;
- A corporate outlook and ability for cross-team collaboration;
- Strategic planning and evidence-driven design and implementation strategy;
- Programme Management with understanding of vaccines and their delivery including demand forecasting, supply chain/ logistics;
- Financial management including budgetary compliance and efficient allocation of resources;
- Cross-functional management and interpersonal skills;
- Rigorous analytical skills and insistence on use of data;
- Change management and innovation;
- Very strong analytical and writing ability;
- Highly developed representational and communications skills;
- Decisiveness in moving a challenging agenda forward in a dynamic, diverse and yet consensual Alliance environment;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the Alliance;
- Strong identification with Gavi's mission and a convincing familiarity with global public health/ immunisation issues.
- Knowledge of vaccines and vaccinology.
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Knowledge of French desirable.
Advanced university degree in Public Health or Business Administration.
- Gavi Secretariat;
- Gavi Alliance Board and Board Committees;
- Alliance extended partners
- Gavi-eligible countries;
- Pharmaceutical/ vaccine industry.
Gavi is committed to diversity within its workforce and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
If you wish to apply, please provide a cover letter and resume through our Careers webpage and apply by clicking on "Director, Vaccine Supply and Demand". Deadline for applications is 15 February 2019.
Friday, 15 February 2019