The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
Supported by the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunization (Gavi) and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), CHAI is working with the Ministry of Health (MoH) in Lao PDR to support the National Immunization Program (NIP) in two areas.
1. Gavi transition - CHAI is supporting the NIP to fully transition from GAVI funding by 2022 through:
- Developing and piloting a standardized assessment tool to evaluate district-level performance in planning, implementation and financial management of immunization activities;
- Building provincial and central level capacity to identify root causes of performance gaps and bottlenecks and plan targeted interventions to address them; and
- Evaluation of key financial challenges and programmatic implications posed by decreased Gavi funding over the next four years, including identification of strategic tradeoffs, synergies and/or efficiencies with
- other immunization or health program activities
2. Strengthening supply chain management for vaccines, through:
- Improving the performance of the Lao supply chain for vaccines addressing the stock out and performance management issues;
- Supporting the country to navigate the supply chain consequences of GAVI transition- identifying options that are effective, sustainable and scalable; and
- Potentially piloting and scaling up a provincial integrated distribution model together with central and provincial level stakeholders.
All activities will be conducted in close collaboration with NIP and relevant MOH staff in order to build capacity and ensure sustainability and scalability of the activities.
Summary of Position:
CHAI is looking for a dynamic, energetic individual with exceptional people skills, highly qualified with experience in vaccines or a related field, and experienced in working in challenging environments, to support the NIP and MOH to strengthen supply chain management at the central and provincial levels. This is a very demanding post, which will prove rewarding for the right candidate.
The Senior Associate will be based in Vientiane, Lao PDR, but will be required to travel within the country up to 25% of the time.
- Lead CHAI supply chain work in two focal provinces and identify potential areas of additional support in these provinces and other provinces
- Support the Program Manager to identify and define CHAI's overall strategy within the program area, develop clear operational plans for execution, and continually identify opportunities for CHAI to add value and maximize impact
- Support the NIP to put in place systems that can provide full central and peripheral stock visibility
- Support the NIP and provinces to prepare and implement realistic distribution plans, which will ensure that vaccines, diluents, injection materials, safety boxes, and reporting and stock management tools are distributed adequately and used appropriately
- Support the NIP to measure and manage the vaccine supply chain for continuous quality improvement, including an accurate assessment of system costs and performance, and benchmarking against other, high performing supply systems
- Develop influential presentation materials that work for varying audiences
- Collaborate with government to ensure skills transfer and government ownership, identify the most critical hurdles to scale-up, and develop innovative strategies to address them.
- Develop strong working relationships with key stakeholders in government, international partners, donors and NGOs and within CHAI, and ensure maximum coordination and best use of resources and effort for successful implementation and scale-up
- Support the Program Manager to develop and manage work plans, budgets, schedules and logistics plans for key activities
- Perform other tasks as necessary
- Advanced degree in a relevant field, plus 4 years of professional experience in healthcare OR Bachelor degree and at least 5 years of professional experience
- Experience with and knowledge of supply chain concepts
- Experience in the planning and execution of large scale projects; including budgeting and activity planning
- Experience structuring and leading evidence-based decision making processes
- Ability to work independently and effectively in high-pressure, fast-paced environment and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to learn on the job quickly and absorb/synthesize a broad range of information
- Ability to react quickly to ad-hoc requests while managing an existing workload
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills, and an ability to build professional relationships with a range of key stakeholders
- Strong quantitative and problem-solving skills; including advanced proficiency using Microsoft Excel
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills
- Prior experience in vaccines
- Lao communication skills
Friday, 01 February 2019