Monday, 02 October 2000
  0 Replies
  2K Visits
Post00282 MISSING DPT-1 DATA? 2 October 2000 CONTENTS 1. SHOULDN'T WHO BE ASKING FOR DTP 1 DATA? Moderators Note: The files of the 1997 Product Information Sheets are back on the WHO/V&B web site: http://www.who.int/vaccines-access/pis.htm ____________________________________*______________________________________ 1. SHOULDN'T WHO BE ASKING FOR DTP 1 DATA? The WHO Department of Vaccines and Biologicals collects and uses DPT 3rd dose coverage data from reporting countries as part of the EPI Information System. Robert Steinglass, BASICS, in discussions with Maureen Birmingham, WHO/V&B, suggests the usefulness of adding DPT first dose data to the EPI Information System. Allan Bass adds a bit, and Maureen rounds out the discussion by agreeing. Date: 27-Jul-2000 From: "Robert Steinglass" To: Maureen Birmingham Subject: Shouldn't WHO be asking for DTP 1 data? Dear Maureen, I should share with you something which I prepared for another purpose related to the GAVI review process. I think that WHO/Geneva should consider revising the EPI Information System to include reporting of DPT1 data. Countries already collect these data but they are not passed to regional and global levels. Drop-out is becoming an increasingly important indicator of programme performance and quality, as it combines elements of supply, systems, demand and client satisfaction. Furthermore, now that more expensive vaccines are being introduced, the value of being able to track and monitor drop-out has increased in importance. From a strictly economic point of view, we need to focus attention on drop-out rates as this contributes greatly to the high inefficiency and wastefulness of programs. What do you think? Robert Robert Steinglass Immunization Team Leader BASICS 1600 Wilson Blvd., Suite 300 Arlington, VA. 22209 USA voice: 1-703-312-6800 fax: 1-703-312-6900 e-mail: [[email protected]][email protected][/email] --- >>> Allan Bass 07/28 4:46 AM >>> Dear Robert, DPT 1 is also important as a non-hospital based immunization service access indicator - in countries where many of the deliveries and BCG immunization are done in hospital. It enables some measure of access to services and the performance of the PHC system. regards, allan --- Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 08:13:53 -0400 From: "Robert Steinglass" To: [[email protected]][email protected][/email] Cc: [[email protected]][email protected][/email] Subject: Re: shouldn't WHO be asking for DTP 1 data? Allan, I agree with you. I didn't say that about access but I also had that in mind when I mentioned drop-out. Don't you think that it would be interesting, cheap and quite easy for someone at WHO to do a global review of national BCG versus DPT1 coverage over the past few years to determine how much the rates vary.? Countries do have this information. It may be possible that the rates vary among countries according to a pattern of geographical variables or according to other criteria which would be discerned by a well-designed desk review. One might also specifically ask for the DPT1 and DPT3 coverage rates by district within countries according to a few carefully-chosen criteria for selecting the districts. Robert --- Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 11:38:23 +0200 From: To: Subject: Re:shouldn't WHO be asking for DTP 1 data? yep. we will probably include it in next year's joint form. regards, Maureen ____________________________________*______________________________________
There are no replies made for this post yet.