Tuesday, 14 November 2000
  0 Replies
  2.2K Visits
Post00298 EMPLOYMENT FEEDBACK 14 November 2000 CONTENTS 1. EMPLOYMENT FEEDBACK 1. EMPLOYMENT FEEDBACK More then 20 immunization and logistics positions have been included in Technet Forum posts during the last year. In Post00292, EMPLOYMENT, 26 October 2000 the following question was posted: Technet forum has posted many vacancy notices in last year. * Our perception is that there are more health logistics and immunization jobs then people to fill them. * It would be useful to know: 1. Have Technet subscribers have taken any of the posted jobs? 2. Or are we all working? 3. How has recruitment process has worked employing organizations and potential recruits? ___________________________________________________________________________ In todays posting, Robert Steinglass, BASICS II, replies from the point of view of an employer and technical manager. Robert confirms the perception of the demand outstripping supply. Sarah Dugdale and Claire Nadya raise the question of entry into international health logistics with a background on national experience and more. * What do we need to know? * Do we have appropriate mechanisms the development and training of immunization and health logisticians? ** What should we do? Feedback, comments and additions please: [[email protected]][email protected][/email] or use your reply button ___________________________________________________________________________ Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 From: "Robert Steinglass" To: [[email protected]][email protected][/email] Subject: Re: Post00292 EMPLOYMENT Allan, As to your questions, we currently are interviewing a short list of French- speaking candidates, two of whom heard about the post thru TECHNET. I would agree with you that demand outstrips supply. I am reminded of an incident 7 years ago in Central Asia: A USAID health officer in the NIS was angry about some delays we were facing at REACH in getting a cold chain expert into one of "her" countries, and she angrily reminded us that she was able to get investment bankers within 48 hours. I had to remind her that investment bankers were " a dime a dozen." Robert --- From: "Nayda, Claire (DHS)" To: "'Technet Moderator'" Subject: RE: Post00292 EMPLOYMENT Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 From Technet I have not taken any job. I am currently completing a Masters in Public Health, working in the area of immunisation in Australia and very interested in cold chain. One aspect to oversees employment is experience in developing countries- how does a person gain this experience? What is 'it' that I need to know and where do I get that information from?? Are there online education that a person can tap into to learn more, develop the skills necessary to eventually apply to jobs?? regards, Claire --- From: "Sarah Dugdale" To: Subject: RE: Post00292 EMPLOYMENT Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 Dear Allan After ruminating some time, I have decided to send you this email in response to the questions asked last week regarding the recruitment of Technet subscribers. I'd like to tell the recruitment story from the other side of the fence - from one who is desperate to get more experience in international immunisation, but has been thwarted by apparent disinterest. This disinterest exists despite the protracted Technet debate earlier this year about the dearth of available, experienced staff the STOP teams. Having worked in public and community health nursing, including as a nurse epidemiologist in communicable disease control, I decided a number of years ago that immunisation was where I wanted to be. After cutting my teeth, I was employed to run a number of state-wide immunisation programs, including the 1998 National Measles Control Campaign South Australia. Since I have also undertaken an MPH and have worked in Bangladesh and the Solomon Islands, I thought I would be an eminently suitable candidate the STOP teams when they were advertised in early July. I applied one of the positions on 6 July, the same day they were advertised in the Guardian Weekly. In due course, I received a reply from WHO on 16 August stating that applications would be considered and finalised by 10 September. As I had not received any correspondence by 19 September I sent an email asking feedback on my application. To date no response has been received. I agree that I am small fry when compared with the likes of other Technet subscribers - however I am enthusiastic, intelligent and motivated small fry. Considering so much time has been devoted to lamenting the lack of suitably trained immunisation officers, I find it frustrating that, as far as I am aware, there is no traineeship or mentoring program people such as myself. Your comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. Sarah Dugdale
There are no replies made for this post yet.