Thursday, 18 September 2003
  0 Replies
  2.6K Visits
POST 00604E : SUGGESTIONS FOR THE MEETING AGENDA Follow-up on Posts 00584E, 00587E, 00591E, 00595E, 00600E and 00602E 18 September 2003 _______________________________________________ Two contributions were received, both commenting and reinforcing Anthony Battersby's comments in Post 00602E. The first is from Bibata Paré (mailto:[log in to unmask]) from EPI/Burkina Faso. The second is from Ahmed Nasim (mailto:[log in to unmask]) from UNICEF. _____________________________________________________________ Translated from French. I think, that Anthony is perfectly right. We have failed in our mission to educate decision-makers to understand that operational aspects and epidemiological aspects of immunisation are equally important. In fact currently, it is quite noticeable that epidemiology has taken precedence over operational aspects of vaccination programmes, although in some countries logistics tend to impose itself because of the orientation logisticians have given to it! In essence, I also agree that some strong-worded resolutions emphasizing the crucial place of operations in immunisation programmes should be issued to decision-makers. Mrs. Bibata Paré ________________________________________________ I wish to respond to the comment on the message from Anthony Battersby and would like to reinforce his views on the operational aspects of the EPI programme. This is the area where Technet will be required to focus more than before in view of the additional vaccines, SIA projects, NIDs are added in the same structure of routine immunization. I tried my best to analyse the affect on the operation as well as in management of the programme in Sudan, Sierra Leone, Somalia and Rwanda most recently. The situation is more desperate in conflict countries. Even in more stable countries the importance of operational management will be the key to sustain high level of immunization if we aim to achieve desired results for Millenium Development Goals. In spite of large investment made on training at all levels, introduction of new technologies over more than 15-18 years and useful contribution through Technet, still vaccine handling, management of cold chain at all levels remain key problem. The reason could be of complacency, high turn over of skilled personnels or less investment/focus on the operational aspect of the programme. I strongly believe that the whole issue of the "Operational Aspect of the EPI Programme" should be the priority topics in the Technet agenda and have full faith in the Technet forum being one of the founder member, that the views and the recommendation of this forum will be well received by the policy/decision makers. I know this issue is a major concern to UNICEF at operational level. Thanks, Nasim Ahmed ______________________________________________________________ Visit the TECHNET21 Website at http://www.technet21.org You will find instructions to subscribe, a direct access to archives, links to reference documents and other features. ______________________________________________________________________________ To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message to : mailto:[log in to unmask] Leave the subject area BLANK In the message body, write unsubscribe TECHNET21E ______________________________________________________________________________ The World Health Organization and UNICEF support TechNet21. The TechNet21 e-Forum is a communication/information tool for generation of ideas on how to improve immunization services. It is moderated by Claude Letarte and is hosted in cooperation with the Centre de coopération internationale en santé et développement, Québec, Canada (http://www.ccisd.org) ______________________________________________________________________________
There are no replies made for this post yet.