Thursday, 01 March 2001
  0 Replies
  2.3K Visits
Post00324 VACCINE VOLUME IMPACT CALCULATOR 27 February 2001 CONTENTS 1. VACCINE VOLUME CALCULATOR: REQUEST FOR TESTING 2. THE DRAFT INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CALCULATOR 1. VACCINE VOLUME CALCULATOR: REQUEST FOR TESTING Ulla Kou, WHO V&B, has kindly sent a spreadsheet based vaccine volume calculator for use in estimating the storage impact of introducing additional or new vaccines in the cold chain. The 2 files: WHOcalculator.xls and calculator memo.doc are contained in the 22kb file: VaccineVolumeCalculatorFeb2001.zip To get the file and test the calculator go to the Technet ftp site: ftp://ftp.acithn.uq.edu.au/technet/1-clickherefortechnetfiles/tools/ and click on: VaccineVolumeCalculatorFeb2001.zip Or send an email to [[email protected]][email protected][/email] with the message: get technet VaccineVolumeCalculatorFeb2001.zip * Comments and feedback, please ,to Ulla at WHO/V&B and to the forum at: [[email protected]][email protected][/email], [[email protected]][email protected][/email] Opinion, comments and suggestions please: [[email protected]][email protected][/email] or use your reply button ___________________________________________________________________________ Moderators Note: Both of the files and the downloadable zip file have been virus scanned using the latest update of Norton AntiVirus 2000. To use the calculator you are required to have MS Excel installed. The document text is posted below. ___________________________________________________________________________ From: [[email protected]][email protected][/email] To: Technet Moderator Subject: Vaccine volume calculator Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 Dear Allan, I'm an economist working in the Vaccines and Biologicals Department in WHO, Geneva. I attach a "vaccine volume calculator", which I've developed in collaboration with John Lloyd and Gordon Larsen. The calculator (in an Excel spreadsheet) is to be used for estimating the impact on the cold chain when introducing new and underused vaccines. I would like to ask for your help in testing this calculator. I would be grateful if you could forward the calculator to relevant members of the Technet. I would like to receive feed-back and comments on the calculator before we publish it as a final version. I suggest that you give a dead-line for these comments, say in two weeks time (12 March). (comments to be e-mailed to me and cc'ed to you?) I look forward to hearing from Technet members and thanking all in advance. Best wishes, Ulla Kou Ms. Ulla Kou Associate Professional Officer Vaccine Assessment and Monitoring (VAM) Vaccines and Biologicals Department (V&B) WHO 1211 Geneva 27 Switzerland Tel: +41 22 791 4289 Fax: +41 22 791 4210 ____________________________________*______________________________________ DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT DRAFT ___________________________________________________________________________ 2. THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CALCULATOR Vaccine volume calculator - an aid for the introduction of new vaccines The attached diskette contains a vaccine volume calculator [To be] published by the Vaccine and Biologicals Department of the WHO in collaboration with the Bill and Melinda Gates Children's Vaccine Programme (CVP) at PATH. The calculator has been developed to assist countries in planning for space requirements when introducing new vaccines. The vaccine volume calculator estimates the net storage volume per fully immunized child with various immunization schedules and provides an estimate of the percentage change in storage volume due to introducing a new vaccine. HOW TO USE THE CALCULATOR The vaccine volume calculator consists of two spreadsheets in Excel format. The user should only enter information in sheet 1. Sheet 2 is provided as an example. In sheet 1 information should be entered in the cells which are coloured yellow. The blue cells contain pre-entered calculations and data should not be entered in these cells. Three types of information should be entered in sheet 1: 1. Number of doses per child for each vaccine in the existing immunization schedule. 2. Number of doses per child for all vaccines in the new immunization schedule (i.e., existing vaccines plus new vaccines). 3. Vaccine wastage rates of existing vaccines and estimated or predicted wastage rates of new vaccines. The spreadsheet will calculate net storage volume per fully immunized child of the two immunization schedules in cubic centimetres. It will also calculate the percentage change in storage volume with the new schedule compared to the volume with the existing schedule. Sheet 2 provides an example of differences in storage volume per fully immunized child with ten different examples of immunization schedules. The sheet compares the storage volume of an existing immunization schedule with nine possible new schedules. ____________________________________*______________________________________
There are no replies made for this post yet.