TechNet-21 - Forum

This forum provides a place for members to ask questions, share experiences, coordinate activities, and discuss recent developments in immunization.
  1. Moderator
  2. Announcements
  3. Sunday, 11 March 2001
Post00329 PROPOSED TECHNET 2001 SIGN MEETING 12 March 2001 CONTENTS 1. RE: Post00322 PROPOSED TECHNET 2001 SIGN MEETING 2. TECHNET 2001 SIGN MEETING DRAFT AGENDA ___________________________________________________________________________ Moderators note Technet Forum postings will be sent out at irregular intervals as the moderator is travelling in the field. Routine services will resume in late March. Please send your messages to: [email=technet@acithn.uq.edu.au]technet@acithn.uq.edu.au[/email] or use your reply button! ____________________________________*______________________________________ 1. RE: PROPOSED TECHNET 2001 SIGN MEETING In Technet Forum Post00322, on 22 February 2001, Technet members pointed out that the time for Technet business would be short in the proposed meeting format and agenda and discussed the constraints and suggested approaches to improving the proposed meeting format and agenda. The draft proposed agenda is repeated below. In todays post the discussion continues with comments, suggestions and responses from Hans Everts, WHO/V&B, Mogens Munck, Michel Zaffran, WHO/V&B, Kristina Engstrom, and Robert Steinglass, BASICS II. * Julie Milstien, WHO, V&B/ATT, responds, thanking the contributors, and points out that constructive suggestions will be taken into consideration. Opinion, comments and suggestions please: [email=technet@acithn.uq.edu.au]technet@acithn.uq.edu.au[/email] or use your reply button ___________________________________________________________________________ From: [email=evertsj@who.ch]evertsj@who.ch[/email] To: [email=Technet@acithn.uq.edu.au]Technet@acithn.uq.edu.au[/email] Subject: RE: Post00322 PROPOSED TECHNET 2001 SIGN MEETING Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 I also agree that 2 days is largely insufficient. I would like to propose 2 other issues to present/discuss: * SOS, experience, future, etc. * polio, vaccine supply, guidelines, end game strategy issues Regards Hans --- From: "Munck Mogens" To: "Technet Moderator" Subject: Re: Post00322 PROPOSED TECHNET 2001 SIGN MEETING Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 23.2.2001 Dear Allan, I want to join in with those who find a 3 days Technet meeting too short. We always run out of time. I also agree with the viewpoint that the agenda is somewhat HQ-oriented. Umit who is from the field might change that. The suggestion that those interested in only Technet just stays on and do not go to the SIGN meeting looks good. I would certainly do that, if possible. When Umit has taken up his position in Geneva, I hope he will invite us to come forward with suggestions to the agenda. Regards! Mogens Munck --- From: [email=zaffranm@who.ch]zaffranm@who.ch[/email] To: [email=Technet@acithn.uq.edu.au]Technet@acithn.uq.edu.au[/email] Subject: RE: Post00322 PROPOSED TECHNET 2001 SIGN MEETING Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 Hey guys, let us be creative, innovative (as all Technet members should be) but at the same time recognize that we cannot possibly ever address all the neat issues we would like to address To have SIGN and Technet together makes huge sense. May I remind you that Technet meetings usually spend an awful lot of time on injections safety issues any way Let us also recognise that there are too many meetings and we should rationalize and synergise Finally, let us give ourselves a chance to develop Technet 21 rather than staying framed in the old 1989 way of thinking I, for one, vote for trying this out and testing a new approach which may also help us bring in new blood into the process. I am sure that Yvan, Umit and Julie who have thought through this agenda will deliver an excellent meeting If this fails then I am confident that you will know how to express your exasperation but please let us be constructive Michel --- From: "Kristina Engstrom" To: "Technet Moderator" Subject: Re: Post00322 PROPOSED TECHNET 2001 SIGN MEETING Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 Dear Allan, If I may add my two cents... Generally, meeting planners try to squeeze too much into their agendas and don't leave enough time for discussions and debate. As a result, important items are dropped at the last minute or dealt with in the evenings and discussions are curtailed. I recommend that the Technet and SIGN meeting planners: 1. Strictly limit agenda items to those that need discussion, resolution, conclusions. 2. Use print to pass on information, such as the information in updates. Don't use agenda time for these. 3. Assume that time will be needed for getting overhead projectors to work, for changing from one topic to another, for making announcements. Thus, a 15-minute presentation will take something like 25-30 minutes by the time the presenter moves to the podium, gets set up, etc. 4. Schedule 30 minute breaks, not 15 minute ones. Large groups of people just don't seem to be able to manage eating, discussing, lobbying, etc., in 15 minutes. 5. Keep an hour or two on the last day open, i.e., unscheduled, for unfinished business. I would be happy to look at draft agendas from a meeting-planning point of view. Kristina --- Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 From: "Robert Steinglass" To: Technet Moderator Subject: technet Dear Allan, I am late in chiming in with a couple of comments, as I was travelling and then sick. I think very good points have already been made by Wylie, Schnur, Carrasco, Battersby. I think by shortening the TECHNET agenda, we undervalue the importance of the operational topics which in the past have been considered to be the mainstay of successful immunization programs. I believe that insufficient attention is being paid to the sorts of topics covered by TECHNET, especially at country level by technical agencies and funders. It seems to me that any good systems and competencies need to be maintained over time, and that that has not been happening within many countries and even within the technical agencies. All one has to do is to look at the rather low acceptance rate of country proposals being submitted to GAVI to realize that immunization programs have some serious problems - - and it is NOT just a problem of not knowing the burdens of disease!! Robert --- From: [email=milstienj@who.ch]milstienj@who.ch[/email] Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 Subject: TechNet 21 To: Technet Moderator WHO appreciates all thoughtful and constructive comments on Technet and will take them all into account. Thank you. Julie ____________________________________*______________________________________ 2. TECHNET 2001 SIGN MEETING DRAFT AGENDA The proposed dates of the joint TECHNET 2001 SIGN meeting in New Delhi India are to 27-31 August 2001. Contributions, comments and additions please: [email=technet@acithn.uq.edu.au]technet@acithn.uq.edu.au[/email] or use your reply button ___________________________________________________________________________ TECHNET: CONCEPT PAPER: OBJECTIVES OF THE MEETING ___________________________________________________________________________ TECHNET: Concept paper: Objectives of the meeting To facilitate collaborations and synergies among participants of the technical network for logistics in health through: * Reviewing progress achieved; * Exchanging information and generate ideas on how to improve immunization services; * Identifying upcoming key issues, future challenges and action points. FOCUS AREAS Monday, August 27th 2001 MORNING: OVERVIEW OF PROGRESS SINCE TECHNET 1999 AND IMMUNIZATION MANAGEMENT * Reporting on progress on TECHNET 1999 recommendations * The future of TECHNET (based on TECHNET survey results and brainstorming session on TECHNET's role) * Strengthening of immunization management (Presentations on transport management for service delivery, examples from countries, regions) * Communication, advocacy, training, and capacity building * Financing * Human resources management AFTERNOON: IMMUNIZATION MANAGEMENT (CONTINUED) * Vaccine supply and quality * Surveillance * Indicators of logistics performance * Service delivery * Vaccine management assessment * Logistics of disease control * Quality and integrity of national cold stores (presentations on country experiences, round table to identify action points) Tuesday, August 28th 2001 MORNING: IMMUNIZATION MANAGEMENT - COLD CHAIN * Management and supervision of vaccine distribution * VVMs * Integration of distribution of vaccines and drugs (Presentations on country experiences and round table to identify action points) AFTERNOON: LOGISTICS OF INTEGRATING NEW VACCINES AND GAVI * Guidelines for managers * Optimization of storage volume * TECHNET and GAVI - working together (Presentations on country experiences and round table to identify action points) ___________________________________________________________________________ TECHNET-SIGN JOINT INJECTION TECHNOLOGIES DAY: CONCEPT PAPER ___________________________________________________________________________ TECHNET-SIGN Joint Injection Technologies Day: Concept paper Objectives of the meeting To facilitate collaborations and synergies among persons having an interest to injection technology issues in developing countries, including: * Research and development issues; * Quality and safety issues; * Access and procurement issues. FOCUS AREAS Wednesday, August 29th 2001 MORNING: INJECTION TECHNOLOGIES * Exchanges between industry and interested SIGN / TECHNET stakeholders on injection technologies, with particular focus on: * AD syringes, immunization and curative * Pre-filled systems * Jet injectors AFTERNOON: UNICEF/WHO/UNFPA - INDUSTRY MEETING * Procurement and tender issues in injection equipment * Norms and standards in injection equipment EVENING: SIGN/ TECHNET reception ___________________________________________________________________________ SIGN MEETING: CONCEPT PAPER: OBJECTIVES OF THE MEETING ___________________________________________________________________________ SIGN Meeting: Concept paper: Objectives of the meeting To facilitate collaborations and synergies among participants of the safe injection global network through: * Reviewing progress achieved; * Exchanging information and ideas; * Identifying upcoming key issues and future challenges. FOCUS AREAS Thursday, August 30th 2001 MORNING: POLICIES * How to get policies and plans off the ground? (Presentations of 10 minutes and discussions of 10 minutes, round table to summarize action points of 1 hour) AFTERNOON: QUALITY AND SAFETY OF INJECTION EQUIPMENT * How to ensure quality of injection equipment and waste disposal options? (Presentations of 10 minutes and discussions of 10 minutes, round table to summarize action points of 1 hour) Friday, August 31st 2001 MORNING: ACCESS * How to increase access to safe injection equipment and waste disposal options? (Presentations of 10 minutes and discussions of 10 minutes, round table to summarize action points of 1 hour) AFTERNOON: APPROPRIATE, RATIONAL, AND COST EFFECTIVE USE * How to ensure appropriate, rational, and cost effective use of injections? (Presentations of 10 minutes and discussions of 10 minutes, round table to summarize action points of 1 hour) * Wrap up ____________________________________*______________________________________

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!