Course Announcement: Storytelling For Change
Self-Paced Online Training for Immunization & Other Health Care Professionals
Deadline to register: Friday, March 4th
The Boost Community, in partnership with People Power Health, is pleased to announce that we will again be offering a five-week self-paced online (via mobile phone) course, Storytelling for Change, to Boost Community members starting Monday, March 7.
Why does storytelling matter?
COVID-19 has forever changed the way we view and engage in health care across the globe. Social media and other electronic communication has given way to vaccine misinformation, contributing to a diminishing confidence in vaccines.
Immunization professionals have been forced to grapple with challenges of vaccine confidence while simultaneously countering misinformation with facts and continuing to be proactive in the care of communities.
Stakeholder engagement and mobilization is crucial to effectively address and overcome these challenges. Depending on the context, this may include people such as parents, government officials, teachers, religious leaders, and youth groups, to name a few possibilities. Engaging stakeholders to take action requires more than the mastery of facts and statistics. Storytelling is how we inspire others to join us in taking action.
What will I learn?
Grounded in the practice of social movements and activism, Storytelling for Change provides an opportunity for immunization professionals to learn new skills to generate public emotion, values and action.
By the end of the training, you will:
- Understand how storytelling and narrative can influence people’s emotions and actions
- Be able to develop a personal story to motivate people and institutions to support immunization activities
- Learn how to create stories that will empower your community to act together
Listen as Musa Joushua Aboi, a sub-national field monitor who supervises 52 health facilities across Kaduna State, Nigeria, shares how he applied the skills he learned from the Storytelling for Change course to reach vaccine-hesitant health workers in his community.
What are my next steps?
- Create your account through EdApp with this sign-up link. Once you are logged in, you will gain access to a couple short introductory courses that will prompt you to register for the course and help you learn the EdApp features.
- Sign up for an Onboarding Session! We want to ensure everyone has an opportunity for the best learning experience during this 5-week course. To that point, we request all participants attend a 30-minute group onboarding session prior to the course beginning. This will provide an opportunity to connect with peers, learn how to use the EdApp platform and ask any lingering questions before beginning the work. Please sign up for a timeslot using the link below.
❗ Please note: Course registration and onboarding is MANDATORY in order to gain access to the full course, which will not be available until Monday, March 7.
Who is it for? If you are an immunization or health care professional responsible for engaging with different stakeholders then this is a perfect program for you.
When is it? The program will launch on Monday, March 7, 2022 and finish on or around Monday, April 11, 2022.
How much time will I need? This program is pre-recorded and requires 2-3 hours per week (for 5 weeks).
Is there a certification? Upon successful completion of all lessons and assignments, participants will receive a certificate of completion issued by Boost & People Power Health.
How much does it cost? The Storytelling for Change training is FREE for Boost members.
What type of technology do I need? The course is delivered through a mobile phone platform called EdApp. In order to participate you need a smartphone or tablet (e.g. Android or iPhone) and access to WiFi to download the lessons. You may also participate on your desktop computer, although we recommend using the mobile phone for a better experience.
How do I register? Use this sign-up link or scan the QR code below. Once you download EdApp, please be sure to complete the registration form and sign up for an onboarding session. Please note: the full course will not be available until Monday, March 7.
How can I receive support? Please register using this link for a quick live onboarding session with People Power Health's Brian Archie.