lundi 9 avril 2007
  0 Réponses
  2.4K Visites
POST 01076E : BCG EFFICACY QUESTIONED Follow-up on Post 01070E (http://listes.ulaval.ca/cgi-bin/wa?A2=i ... org&P=1144) 9 April 2007 ____________________________________ Samuel Kamau (mailto:[email protected]) from Kenya sends these comments on the news about BCG effectiveness, followed by some of my own comments. ____________________________________ What do we tell the public all this time we have been giving BCG has been having no preventive impact on TB.? Have we been cheating them we as health workers? We need a better explanation because if this information reaches the parents and the general public it may have a serious repercussion on the entire Epi programme and for the rest of the vaccines not only to the general public and even the public health workers. We need to be advised on how this issue should be communicated to those affected. Samuel Kamau National EPI cold Chain and Logistics Officer, KENYA ----------------------- This news is already in the general public, having been published by a number of newspapers and news agencies. I do not believe that public health authorities ever cheated the public on this issue. BCG effectiveness has always been considered rather poor. The only consensus about BCG effectiveness in the scientific community is for prevention of miliary TB and TB meningitis in young children. Otherwise for preventing the spread of TB in the population, it is considered rather ineffective. Many industrialized countries have dropped BCG vaccination years ago. This has been the case of my own country, Canada, where BCG has not been part of childhood immunization for at least 20 years now, I believe. What I find more amazing than this piece of news that is hardly surprising in fact, is that BCG, one of the first vaccines produced and administered on such a scale, seems to still be produced and administered the exact same way than during Calmette's time. While most other vaccines have benefited from scientific progress, bio-engineering and so on, and seen major improvements, BCG seems to have been ignored in the process. Have we all been so satisfied with such an ineffective vaccine all these years?? The Moderator ______________________________________________________________________________ All members of the TechNet21 e-Forum are invited to send comments on any posting or to use the forum to raise a new discussion or request technical information in relation to immunization services. The comments made in this forum are the sole responsibility of the writers and do not in any way mean that they are endorsed by any of the organizations and agencies to which the authors may belong. ______________________________________________________________________________ Visit the TECHNET21 Website at http://www.technet21.org You will find instructions to subscribe, a direct access to archives, links to reference documents and other features. ______________________________________________________________________________ To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message to : mailto:[email protected] Leave the subject area BLANK In the message body, write unsubscribe TECHNET21E ______________________________________________________________________________ The World Health Organization and UNICEF support TechNet21. The TechNet21 e-Forum is a communication/information tool for generation of ideas on how to improve immunization services. It is moderated by Claude Letarte and is hosted in cooperation with the Centre de coopération internationale en santé et développement, Québec, Canada (http://www.ccisd.org) ______________________________________________________________________________
Il n'y a pas encore de réponse à ce message.