mardi 13 novembre 2007
  0 Replies
  2.7K Visits
POST 01186E : VACCINE STOCK MANAGEMENT Follow-up on Posts 01138E, 01164E and 01178E 13 November 2007 ___________________________________ This posting contains three contributions. The first is from Modibo Dicko from WHO/AFRO who cofirms that different definitions are used in the AFRO region but plays down consequences. The second contribution comes from Ãœmit Kartoglu, from WHO in Geneva and co-author of the document in question, who brings further clarifications. Finally Mogens Munck, from Spain supports definitions in the document. Besides, a software that determines and calculate all these levels automatically has definite advantages. Users however must know principles behind and be able to make calculations manually. When I see a whole generation unable to add two plus two without a calculator, I despair and worry. When systems break down, one must stand in for even temporarily instead of risking the whole of operations be paralyzed. ___________________________________ Dear friends, I think that Dr Ben Alagh has said out loud what all logisticians in Africa have been thinking to themselves. However, there is no need to dramatize, because the difference is purely semantic and does not, in any way, jeopardize the stock management principles we have taught over the years and used since launching the "African Logistics Project" in 1995. Those of you who will read the document "Vaccine stock management: Guidelines on stock records for immunization programme and vaccine store managers (WHO/IVB/06.12)", should only keep in mind the following corresponding terminologies: 1) What the above-mentioned document presents as " minimum stock " is known as "Re-order Point" in AFRO MLM vaccines management courses and documents. 2) What the above-mentioned document presents as "security stock" is known as "minimum stock" in AFRO MLM vaccines management courses and documents. I would therefore suggest that WHO logisticians and their national counterparts at central level circulate to countries an explanatory explaining the correspondence between these terms. It is absolutely not necessary to change definitions, because it might confuse people. If these changes of definitions meant a change in management principles, it would have been necessary to adopt them. Thank goodness, this is not the case! Modibo Regional Administrator in charge of Logistics WHO/AFRO, ----------------------- As the author of mentioned "Vaccine Stock Management: Guidelines for immunization programme and vaccine store managers (WHO/IVB/06.12)" publication, I would like to make the following clarifications. With all my respect to "freedom of expression" Dr Ben Alagh is practicing, I do not take TechNet21 e-Forum as a platform that members of UN organizations criticize each other and teach processes and business. The first rule in giving feedback is "to take responsibility and to speak for yourself", and not to refer to others. This publication went through lengthy reviews even before it was brought up for final approval in-house. As explained in the Acknowledgement section of the book, it took three years to finalize the document with reviews from outside of WHO. This document is the result of collaboration of key partners, in-depth research, honest efforts of harmonization and successful field tests. During the final clearance process, all WHO staff have the chance to raise concerns or ask questions. The responsible staff for the document respond to each of these concerns, answer the questions and make necessary changes to obtain clearance. Nothing comes out unless all are satisfied. Ahmet Afsar (co-author of the document) and myself remain confident we have produced a quality document in line with internationally accepted definitions. As indicated in the Glossary as a footnote, the terms referenced in this document are commonly understood definitions used in many supply management systems. Some national systems may apply different terminology for similar concepts, but WHO encourages all to align their definitions with these internationally-recognized principles and terms. If what they teach in Nigeria since April 2006 contradicts what this recent WHO document recommends, then I would suggest to Dr Alagh to take this more seriously, do necessary research (internet is a good tool to see what are the most internationally accepted definitions are as well as seeing what other WHO departments who teach supply management courses refer to for these definitions), and introduce necessary alignment in their instructional materials. Cheers, Dr. Umit Kartoglu Scientist IVB/Quality, Safety and Standards ------------------------- I am very much in agreement with Ms. Diana Chang Blanc, WHO, regarding the definition of terms used in the package prepared by WHO for vaccine stock management. They are the terms used universally, particularly in Essential Drugs Programs, where the "yellow bible" (Managing Drug Supply) written by Management Sciences for Health, Boston, USA, is widely used. One question to Ms. Diana Chang Blanc: "Does the WHO package provide for audit trail? Now we have two good softwares for vaccine stock management: the WHO package and the mSupply software, which was presented in POST 01114E : STOCK MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE, 29th June 2007. As such there is no excuse for not having a professionally managed vaccine stock management system. Good vaccine stock mangement is becoming important with the introduction of new vaccines. In the future even more expensive vaccines will be introduced, and auditing will be more and more severe. If you find it a burden to define and periodically re-define max., min, safety, and re-order levels, then please note that by using mSupply you will not have to border with these terms. The mSupply software does the work for you. mSupply calculates re-order quantities on basis of the current stock situation, daily average usage, and finally the stock level you wish to have, defined as the number of days of average usage. Regards, Mogens Munck ______________________________________________________________________________ All members of the TechNet21 e-Forum are invited to send comments on any posting or to use the forum to raise a new discussion or request technical information in relation to immunization services. The comments made in this forum are the sole responsibility of the writers and do not in any way mean that they are endorsed by any of the organizations and agencies to which the authors may belong. ______________________________________________________________________________ Visit the TECHNET21 Website at http://www.technet21.org You will find instructions to subscribe, a direct access to archives, links to reference documents and other features. ______________________________________________________________________________ To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message to : [[email protected]][email protected][/email] Leave the subject area BLANK In the message body, write unsubscribe TECHNET21E ______________________________________________________________________________ The World Health Organization and UNICEF support TechNet21. The TechNet21 e-Forum is a communication/information tool for generation of ideas on how to improve immunization services. It is moderated by Claude Letarte and is hosted in cooperation with the Centre de coopération internationale en santé et développement, Québec, Canada (www.ccisd.org ______________________________________________________________________________
Il n'y a pas encore de réponse à ce message.