On February 1, 2022, HLN released a new version (v1.34.1) of the Immunization Calculation Engine (ICE) in support of updates to the COVID-19 vaccine. ICE is a state-of-the-art open source software system that provides clinical decision support for immunizations for use in Immunization Information Systems (IIS), Electronic Health Record (EHR), and Personal Health Record (PHR) Systems.
Version 1.34.1 includes the following additions and changes related to COVID-19 vaccines:
- Booster Dose Rules
- Updated booster dose recommended age to 12 years
- Updated booster dose recommended interval to 5 months after completion of mRNA vaccine primary series.
- Additional Dose Rules
- Added support for additional dose for immunocompromised persons aged 5+
- COVID-19 Vaccines Not Authorized by FDA Rules
- Updated rules for Novavax (CVX 211) COVID-19 vaccine now that WHO has approved it for use under their EUL
- Updated rules to accommodate the fact that patients who have not completed all recommended doses of a COVID-19 vaccine series not authorized by FDA, but approved by WHO, do not need to restart a primary vaccination series in the United States.
Please see the Release Notes for more details.
Note about Upcoming ICE Releases (Spring 2022)
We will be working on reviewing the new guidance for Pneumococcal and Hep B and plan to update ICE accordingly. We anticipate publishing another ICE release in Spring 2022.
Plans for COVID-19 Support in ICE
Once a vaccine has been approved for use by the FDA (either Expanded Access, EUA, or full licensure), the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) will hold an emergency meeting and publish recommendations in a very quick time frame (i.e. days). HLN intends to release a version of ICE that includes updated COVID-19 forecasting as early as possible. The initial release will contain COVID-19 logic that is known at the time of the release. As additional, relevant information on COVID-19 becomes available from official sources, HLN will continue to release additional versions of ICE, at appropriate times.
If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please e-mail us at [email protected].