Tuesday, 05 June 2001
  0 Replies
  2.3K Visits
Post00345 VACCINE WASTAGE 05 June 2001 CONTENTS 1. VACCINE WASTAGE. INVITING COMMENTS AND LOOKING FOR REFERENCES Inspired by an earlier Technet Forum discussion, Samir J Shah, MOH/Oman, has looked at vaccine wastage in his region of Oman and has found that wastage seems to be higher than he had expected. * Samir is interested in comments and suggestions on dispensing wastage, comparative studies on wastage, and single dose presentation of MMR at 1 year rather then single dose measles vaccine at 9 months and the effect on wastage. Opinion, comments and additions please: [log in to unmask] or use your reply button ___________________________________________________________________________ Recent Technet postings on vaccine wastage were: Post00311 ESTIMATING VACCINE WASTAGE FACTORS 1/16/2001 Post00316 ESTIMATING WASTAGE FACTORS 1/29/2001 Post00320 WASTAGE FACTORS Continued PLUS! 2/13/2001 Post00324 VACCINE VOLUME IMPACT CALCULATOR 2/27/2001 ___________________________________________________________________________ From: "Dr.Samir Shah" To: Subject: Vaccine Wastage. Inviting comments and looking for references. Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 1 Dear Allan, I am Dr.Samir J Shah working as Regional Epidemiologist in Oman. Well TECHNET group discussion on vaccine wastage inspired me and hence I am doing a study for estimation of vaccine wastage in the region (like state or province). Vaccination coverage for ALL childhood immunization is 100%. Calculation of Vaccine wastage factor is done by using formula ={(Doses remained at the end of previous year + Total doses issued in the current year) - Balance of doses at the end of the current year}/ Total doses administered to children in the current year. Initial findings suggest Vaccine wastage factor in tune of 4 or higher in BCG (20 dose vial) and Measles (5 and 10 dose vial). My questions/ points for the discussion for the TECHNET group is as follows, 1) We are able to vaccinate 8 to 9 children ONLY from the 20-dose BCG vaccine vial, even when 20 children available at a point. (Mfg. Japan BCG lab. Tokyo). Is it the routine or we are lacking on our part somewhere? 2) For Measles it is largely opportunity wastage and hence I am planning to suggest that we may need to evaluate the option of giving MMR vaccine (mono dose) instead. I need to explore the cost of mono dose of MMR vaccine and its benefits versus 4 dose of measles vaccine. We are giving Measles at 9 months and MMR at 15 months. It will be ideal if we can shift the "proposed" MMR instead of 9 months to 1 year. I am waiting for your suggestions. 3) For all other vaccines, wastage factor is around 1 to 1.3. 4) I need references of similar studies made elsewhere in other countries AND other literature available on the subject. Thanks for your suggestions in advance. Regards and best wishes, Dr.Samir J Shah.
There are no replies made for this post yet.