The First Meeting of the Regional National Immunization Technical Advisory Group (NITAG) Network of the America was held in Antigua, Guatemala on 5-6 October 2022. It was attended by 115 participants from across 22 countries including NITAG presidents and members and Expanded Program on Immunization managers.
The meeting’s main objectives were the following:
- Launch the Regional NITAG Network;
- Strengthen NITAG performance;
- Train participants in the Grading of Recommendations Assessment, Development and Evaluation (GRADE) Framework and on how to review scientific evidence for the formulation of recommendations;
- Discuss the processes for evidence-based decision making on immunization issues,
- Share lessons learned from NITAGs in the Region.
The main next steps from the meeting are:
- Develop a short-term action plan;
- Promote a legal basis for countries that do not have one;
- Encourage diversity of expertise among NITAG members;
- Strengthen capacities in formulating and adapting evidence-informed recommendations and implementation strategies;
- Increase transparency among NITAGs, the public and stakeholders by centralizing communication;
- Exchange experiences and lessons learned in real time;
- Encourage twinning;
- Develop digital knowledge translation tools and resources;
- Secure funding for NITAG activities and human resources in EPIs;
- Increase education opportunities in vaccines and vaccination,
- Participate in the Global NITAG Network (GNN).
Photo: Regional NITAG Network Meeting Guatemala (Credit: WHO/PAHO-M.Rondy)