India is more committed, last case of WPV1 was in Jan 2011, along with other 10 countries got the certificate of eradication in March 2014.
But as long as there is wild virus circulating in any part of the world, threat exists and may revert back to pre-eradication era as opined by the experts in polio. Hence India is conducting 2 rounds of Pulse Polio [NID] on 28 Jan 2018 and 11 March 2018.
In Karnataka, the strategy is to administer 2 drops of Oral Polio Vaccine in the booths on day 1 followed by 2 to 3 days of house-to-house activity. In south states, from the beginning booth activity is very strong and ~90% coverage will happen on booth day itself. We expect the same this year also.
The credit of eradicating polio is first given to the community, the responsible parents who brought their children to the booths and got vaccinated followed by innumerable PE’s from grass-root level workers, volunteers, NGO’s, Govt and all stakeholders.
KVG Medical College, Sullia along with all other educational Institutions, NSS, NCC, Rotary, IMA along with the Govt, conducted 1 Km long rally to infuse jubilance and to create awareness to mobilize the children tomorrow.
10,845 under 5 children are expected to receive OPV tomorrow. The Block Medical Officer, MO’s of the planning units and all of us are confident to achieve ~97% coverage tomorrow itself and the remaining 3% will be covered on 29th and 30th.